Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Phil Collins - 12"ers from No Jacket Required - 1985

Not much to add on this one.  I took the original EP/Compilation from 6 tracks up to 8.  Big deal.  But, it's Phil.  You know?

I never really appreciated Phil or Genesis during their 80s heyday.  I saw their videos, and thought them quintessential 80s material, but that was it.  It wasn't until Phil released hits that I realized what an accomplished and talented guy he really is.  As it is, though, when he went the route of soundtracks in the early aughts, I was a little disappointed in the work.  But, for the most part, Phil is "the Man."

Not much today, see you on Friday.

5 comments:

  1. I've been a big Phil fan for years. Did you consider adding the extended mix of P.C. & Philip Bailey "Easy Lover" as it is from about the same time period (released in late '84)? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, re Easy Lover. Also there was an alternate 12" mix of Take Me Home on the original Japanese 12" pressing of 12"ers, to go just a bit deeper, the '88 extended remix of In The Air Tonight, which came out the same time this disc was released worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, not to be too picky, but it is actually We Said Hello Goodbye (Don't Look Back). I don't see how the Separate lives track fits here, as a 12"er and arguably, if it does, then why not include Against All Odds or I like The Way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, you two are killing me. Now I'm going to have to revisit this to make sure I've got it right. All of your suggestions make it worth taking a look at....

    ReplyDelete
  5. -= Martin L. Gore =-October 4, 2017 at 7:31 AM

    IMHO, rather than revisiting this great work you already accomplished, I would suggest to compile a Phil (with or without 80s Genesis) GREATEST HITS (or use an existing one) into an ATAIML 3xCD format:
    CD1: Greatest Hits
    CD2: Remixes
    CD3: B-sides, rarities, covers

    I think with prolific artists like this, you are better off, as you really capture the nature of that artist (better than any record company would since you would be going beyond just the hits).

    I can help you assemble the music, if you need and you can create your amazing cover artwork.

    This could be your new series, even for other prolific artists we all love to find on your site, like DM, PSB, Duran. Cure, A-Ha, ...

    ReplyDelete