Saturday, February 11, 2017

Depeche Mode - Violator - 1990

Back in April of last year, I posted the mixes from this album.  If you read that post, you would know the story and experiences I had around the time I originally purchased the album.  Wonderful story, glorious times....   This is the very first CD I ever purchased, and I still have that exact same CD to this day.  Although, it's not my listening copy anymore.  I hung on to it for nostalgia's sake.

Due to the fact that I was young and didn't fully understand at the time that specific track arrangement meant something to the artist when an album is released, I did a lot of, shall I say, BOLD decisions when I arranged "my" album.  It's reflected here.  I still like to listen to it in this order.

Does ANYONE know if there are original mixes of Happiest Girl or Sea Of Sin out there?  A 7-inch single mix or album mix?  I think it would be good, if I could find them, if they exist, to include them on this mix rather than the remixes....

Obviously, I am still having some issues here at home.  Dealing with them has monopolized my time, and also really puts me in the mindframe of not being able to even make a coherent post (evidence, my last post on Cyndi Lauper.)  I don't want to air too much of my current dirty laundry (lord knows you guys know a lot of my past as it is) but, once I get through this, and given time, it will make an EXCELLENT story for my posts here.  Until then, bear with me....  Thanks for your patience.

15 comments:

  1. Hope everything works out for you. Thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a hero for putting as much into this site as you do, personal circumstances notwithstanding. Keep up the good work, but not at the expense of the important stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We appreciate your efforts, as well as your private life. Hope all is well. Thanks and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there. I came across your blog a month ago, and I enjoy the extra tracks- it's something I've always done myself. I remember doing it on tapes as a way to fill up blank space and to add to the albums. Coincidentally, my first CD purchase was almost this album. As CDs were relatively expensive in 1990, my mom said I could only get one as she was also buying me a player that day. It came down to this and Faith No More's "The Real Thing", which I picked because I'd heard more of the songs on it. I've always wondered how different my music interest may have been if I made a different choice- although I did buy "Violator" and its singles a couple years later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the 7 inch mix of the happiest girl is the(Jack Mix)Total Edit from the 12 inch version and the seas of sin (Tonal mix) is the 7'' inch mix Edit as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is always the Depeche Mode - Happiest Girl (Single Version) which I believe is the "original" mix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the full collection of official singles from a box set. The track listing that Happiest Girl & Sea Of Sin shows up on is the following:
    Happiest Girl [Jack Mix]
    Sea Of Sin [Tonal Mix]
    Happiest Girl [Kiss-A-Mix]
    Sea Of Sin [Sensoria]
    Happiest Girl [The Pulsating Orbital Mix]
    Happiest Girl [The Pulsating Orbital Vocal Mix]

    Anything else that I know of is just a unauthorized DJ mix. I hope that helps a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. these are "B-Side" listings for the track World In My Eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still kicking myself for not holding onto my old DM cassettes and CDs. Now everything's digital (like this collection) but I never counted on how powerful the pull of nostalgia would be. Spend more time than I should haunting thrift stores to avoid the eBay scalpers.

    P.S. that story on the remixes post was a classic. Really struck a chord.

    I can still remember a French exchange student my freshman year in college. She was a junior. Huge-huge Mode fan. At the time, I was one of only three male DM fans on the campus. Not ashamed to say I had the "Policy Of Truth look" down perfectly, the hair, the jacket, the ray-bans, everything. The other two guys, well, they were trying for shades of Martin Gore and were entirely happy with each other.

    Black Celebration was her choice, fair enough since it was her dorm. Learned two things that afternoon... a.) soixante-neuf has absolutely NOTHING to do with numbers. b.) everything, and I mean everything, goes better with Mode.

    Your expanded track-listing shows a connoisseur's appreciation. One of the benefits of listening to an album for over twenty years, eh? Along with being able to sing along with every song perfectly... something that mortified passers-by the first time my then-fiancee and I heard "Enjoy The Silence on the Home Depot PA system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're hilarious. Thanks for all your comments this last week...

      Delete
  11. Uhmm, could ya please re-up violator? thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Link is dead,could you reup?
    Im looking for japan edition

    CD 1 Violator

    1. World In My Eyes
    2. Sweetest Perfection
    3. Personnal Jesus
    4. Halo
    5. Waiting For The Night
    6. Enjoy The Silence
    7. Policy Of Truth
    8. Blue Dress
    9. Clean

    CD 2 Enjoy The Silence

    1. Enjoy The Silence (7" Version)
    2. Enjoy The Silence (Hands And Feet Mix)
    3. Enjoy The Silence (Ecstatic Dub)
    4. Sibeling
    5. Enjoy The Silence (Bass Line)
    6. Enjoy The Silence (Harmonium)
    7. Enjoy The Silence (Ricki Tik Tik Mix)
    8. Memphisto

    ReplyDelete