Friday, December 16, 2016

Outer Rhythm - A Compilation

I can tell by the number of page views, and the lack of comments, that this week isn't quite as popular as I thought it would be.  I'm sorry.  Just hold on, only two more days after tonight, & I promise Sunday night will be worth it, for realz.

This was another label that I really liked, and I think it was their logo that initially drew me to them.  What a cool head!  I love it!  But, unlike Warp, not all of their tracks were great, starting off.  So, I picked and chose some of my favorites and dropped them on two discs.  There's a lot of fun stuff on there, including the Joey Beltram mix of Dominator, a big hit from back then.

Again, a custom cover using only the head logo primarily.  The background was a graphic pulled from the web. 

See you tomorrow night for some more....

Disc One        Disc Two

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry KidChaos2 I've liked pretty much everything you've posted up to this week, but Techno is a journey I just can't go on with you. Techno is a style of music that just doesn't do anything for me. That's not to say that these aren't good groups, I'm sure they are the cream of the crop for the style (you wouldn't post them otherwise). Looking forward to Sunday night. Thanks for everything you do... even if I'm not downloading, I'm always checking out your blog everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Randy, thank you for having the courage to admit that. I know that it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. And I have been able to see that this week. Fortunately, it's only a couple more days. I'd scrap it now, but I don't want to break my schedule. I know now that I won't do this again for a long while. But you like 808 State, though, right? We will see you Sunday. Wink wink.

      Delete
  2. A lot of the stuff here is "classic rave" stuff, but so much of it was of the moment, grouping a bunch of bands together may or may not serve the same purpose and may underscore the sense of fleeting quality and why the names do not just jump off the page and entice you for a listen. As it stands each song or band probably need some kind of introduction as to why you find it significant and a standout.... most of us here kknow the bands that survived this scene, electronic records that did break through in a bigger way did so despite being lumped in with the unst-unst-unst glowstick and water bottle scene. Generally they were bands that got had a more electronic angle, like Faithless, Prodigy, The Shamen, Hybrid, Chemical Brothers, Moby, Primal Scream and Underworld or even Paul Van Dyke. It seems that from the 90's electronic scene the downtempo/trip-hop bands were the ones to critically survive the test of time or at least age more gracefully, ie, Portishead, Kid Loco, Massive Attack, Alpha, Thievery Corporation or Hooverphonic. In honesty there was a lot of great music there but it took a lot of digging to find it or someone to point it out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In making these discs, I did realize that. Half the bands (and "songs") I didn't recognize or know of, just a handful of them. The only significance I had for any of them, was being in the time, on the label, and relative to the era. Given an opportunity to try it again, I will go a different route, and put a little more thought into it. This ended up just being a mish-mash of the "fleeting quality" that you mentioned. Well said, "Anonymous".

      Delete