Saturday, September 24, 2016

De/Vision - devolution - 2003

Somewhere in the late aughts, possibly around 07 or 08, I suddenly discovered an entirely new genre of music that I had never heard of before called Futurepop.  I would describe it as akin to Darkwave, or a hybrid of Industrial and Synthpop.  Where did this come from?  Suddenly, there are about 10 or 15 groups that I had never heard of before celebrating their tenth anniversary or releasing their sixth album...  Where had I been hiding?

De/Vision was one of those bands.  Next to VNV Nation and Covenant, De/Vision is one of the biggest Futurepop bands out there.  I personally like the other two bands a tad better, but De/Vision is nothing to sneer at.  They have a large discography stretching back to the early 90s, and enough Mode-like pop hooks to satisfy any DM fan.

Nothing enormously special about this album.  It is simply one of the many of their discography that I enjoy on a rainy day or late in the evening.  I pulled a few of the remixes from the album and a cover from one of their singles, and there you have it. 

Try it out if you like DM, Curve, Industrial, Cause & Effect, or any of the bands like them.  I'm sure you'll like this one, too.

2 comments:

  1. I discovered De/Vision and a group called Mesh a few years ago and had the same reaction as you did. It's great to discover "new" groups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only sad thing is that the three bands you mentioned, sound more like DM now than Depeche themselves ... lol

    I discovered quite a few great DM soundalikes on a compilation a few years ago, called "This is NOT Depeche Mode:

    Thank you for this great expanded edition. Hope to see a few more like this (and the other two bands you mentioned)

    GREAT UPLOAD

    ReplyDelete